Search This Blog

Friday, May 15, 2009

Turning the Soil or Feeding the Robins?


Even though I do a lot of edibles in our landscape, I'm lucky to have space for an actual garden as well. I spent this morning turning the soil for our vegetable garden since our last frost date is next week (finally).

This is actually the second time I've turned the garden this year. We piled leaves and grass clippings on last fall and they hadn't decomposed enough, so about a month ago, I turned the bed and ran the garden weasel through it. Then I left it alone. Today when i turned it for the second time, just about all of last year's waste had completely composted and I have beautiful rich soil, just waiting to become home to a wonderful garden. It's amazing what happened in just 1 month's time. I credit the quick work to the abundance of worms that a saw in just about every spade full of dirt.

Seems I wasn't the only one who noticed the lowly creatures squirming in the light, working to dive back into the soil. There was also a pair of Robins very much aware of the smorgasbord being turned up. Every time I took a break and walked away for a minute the pair descended on the garden "cherry picking" the tasty morsels. When I came back, they flew to a nearby tree or the roof of the garage and perched, watching me and waiting for me to unearth more food and walk away again.

I wish I could have taken a photo to share. It reminded me how intertwined living things are and how much I truly enjoy every aspect of working in the garden. It's a great opportunity to observe nature at work.

What interactions have you had with nature while in the garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment