Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Finally Time to Plant the Garden!

As a resident of Central Minnesota in Zone 4, I've been living vicariously through other gardeners whose gardens are actually already producing and watching the cool weather crops establish themselves But, now, it's finally my time!
I started my seeds and they're all looking pretty healthy as I harden them off. I've turned the bed a couple of times and I'm finalizing my garden layout so that come Memorial Day - the day folks in these parts say it's OK to plant - I'll be able to move my plant seedlings into their new home. Here's what I'm planting:
Tomatoes - Grape, Yellow Pear, Roma, and Early Girl
Peppers - Green, Red, Jalapeno and Banana
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Cucumber
Zuccini
Carrotts
Kholarabi
Broccoli
Green Bush Beans
Purple Pole Beans
Sunflowers (for the bees and to harvest the seed)
Edamame (soybeans - I'll roast and snack on these over the long Minnesota Winter)
Peanuts
Potatoes
Peas - Sugar Snap & Snow Peas
Radish
Lettuce
Spinach
Arugula
Corn Mache
A wide variety of herbs

In addition to these, I also have plantings within the landscape, including lettuce, Snow Peas, Strawberries, Swiss Chard, Blueberries, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Apples, Pansies and Nasturtium

I'll be adding photos to the blog as there's something more than dirt to show! The strawberries are in full bloom now and the Apple tree is ready to flower, too.

What are you growing in your garden/landscape?

No comments:

Post a Comment