Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Over the Garden Fence - Growing Plants & Great Friendships


One of the best things about gardening is the community of great people who share their passion. I've forged more great friendships over the garden fence so to speak.

A perfect case in point is the box of "sticks" I found at my door when I got home last night. I opened it up and it was actually blackberry canes from my next door neighbor. She ended up with extra and just dropped them off to add to my edible landscape.

Actually, she and I have had many wonderful conversations literally over the fence that divides our yards. We both love to work outside in the yard and trade updates, neighborhood news, and the latest thing happening in our gardens. Lately, her raspberries have been creeping under the fence and establishing new canes in my yard. As much as my family loves raspberries, they are more than welcome to come on over; but now I need to find new homes for the perennials that they're squeezing out. Maybe she'd like something new for her yard. I'll have to check tonight, over the fence.

3 comments:

  1. I visited this blog first time & I found it very interesting and informative.
    Guys, I need your help. I’m very confused about Landscaping. I have no idea about it, for that I’m going to consult some architects. I live in Pennsylvania. One of my friend suggested me to consult http://www.betteroutdoorliving.com because they are experts in Landscape Design and Garden Landscaping. Should I rely on them ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    Glad you like the blog. I don't know anything about that particular organization, but it's certainly worth checking them out. They offer a free estimate on their site as I'm sure you saw. I would ask for references and you may also want to Google them or check a review site like Angie's List them to see if there are any comments - positive or negative - that will give you an idea if you want to work with them.
    Good luck and keep me posted on your landscape.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I love this post. It reminds me of the old neighborhood I lived in before moving to my current community. We were always swapping things from our gardens, whether it was plants we'd split or produce that was in abundance. When I moved, many of my neighbors had me choose things from their gardens to bring with me so I would have a "piece of them" here.
    Where I live now I have good neighbors but no one does much for flowers or gardens. I miss that...and my old neighbors.
    I've been enjoying your blog & web site. Keep up the good work!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete